Recently I bought the Leapfrog Learning Dvd set from SMH BP at a very affordable price. I had first heard about these educational dvds when i attended the workshop organised by Playschool.net in August on Homelearning made easy. Pauline from Playschool.net talks about inroducing phonics to children and the benefit of how it will help them in their pronunciation and reading in future.
Thereafter, i went to read up some of the reviews in amazon.com and was convinced that this is the type of educational learning product that is worthwhile to splurge on for HY and baby #2.
The set comes with 3 Leapfrog DVDs : Letter Factory,Talking Words Factory and Let's go to School as well as 26 Flash cards.
Currently, I am only showing the first DVD in this series which is the Letter Factory. And in this series, HY is being exposed to visual as well as the phonics pronounciation of each letter of the alphabets. Even Daddy is attracted to the show. Usually i will try and watch it with HY so that I could learn the pronounciation too. But if I need to do some cooking or housework, I will take it as a chance to do whatever i need as he is fully engrossed in the show for the full 35 mins. I am generally pleased with my purchase as i could see that HY enjoys the show very much.
1) Flashcards - I am trying to do more of these flashcards for him based on topics like things around the house, colours, shapes, alphabets etc.
2) Media - I found some interesting nursery rhymes, children's songs, Dr seus on the Youtube, phonics teaching at online websites such as http://www.starfall.com/, Children's application on the iphone like flashcards, memory games, songs, e-books.
3) Educational Dvds - Leapfrog learning dvds, Hi-5 series, Sesame street, baby tv series.
4) Motor Skills development - Use of the spoon to scoop objects, stacking of objects, Matching of objects etc
5) Games / Hands-on Activities - Exposed him to lowercase alphabets and uppercase alphabets, recognising numbers.
6) Outdoor fun/play - We had visited the Zoo and fidgets, the indoor playground. We plan to bring him to the beach for sand play, water play, botanical garden, science centre, bird park etc after we are more settled with baby#2.
Whenever i have the time or when im not feeling so tired, i will engage HY in a mix of activities. He could be watching an educational show and then i will let him have some hands-on activities after that.